Archive for September, 2020|Monthly archive page

From “Johnstone McWilliam – by Jean Law”

In Alix, Alberta on September 30, 2020 at 3:13 PM

Mr. and Mrs. Johnstone McWilliam came to Clive in 1921 from Co. Rosscommon, Ireland. There were four boys and two girls in the family. Two step-sons, Herbert and Cecil Law, also came with them. Mr. McWilliam had spent awhile in New Zealand and Australia in his youth and was considering returning there. However, he decided in favor of Alberta. They bought the Home Section 33-40-24 W4th, which was still open range at that time. Here they established a home and broke up much of the and. Mrs. McWilliam loved gardening and her flowers were a delight to see every summer. In 1940 they sold the farm to Mr. Herbert and retired to live in Clive. Mr. McWilliam passed away in 1942 and Mrs. McWilliam remained in Clive until her passing in 1950. The family are all married….

This article is from the book Pioneers and Progress, a history of the Alix-Clive area printed in 1974by DW Friesen and Sons Ltd., Calgary.  Copies of it and of its follow-up Gleanings are available for sale at the Alix Public Library, Alix Wagon Wheel Museum, and Alix Home Hardware

1960 Alix School Grade 7 from Inkspot Yearbook

In Alix, Alberta, School on September 30, 2020 at 10:32 AM

Alix School 1960 Grade 8

In Alix, Alberta, School on September 28, 2020 at 8:46 AM

from Inkspot Yearbook

Alix School Grade 9, 1960

In Alix, Alberta, School on September 24, 2020 at 8:42 AM

from Inkspot Yearbook

The Sundberg Family

In Alix, Alberta, Content, Farming, Pioneer Farming, School, School Teachers on September 20, 2020 at 7:49 AM

From “Sundberg, Andrew  John, and Annie Augusta  –

 By Ruth McKinnon and Sophie Sundberg Hanes”

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

On April 9, 1903 Sundbergs left Deming, Washington, U.S.A. to try a new country in which to raise their large family of seven girls and one boy.  An eighth daughter, Ida, remained in the U.S.A.  On April 11th, they arrived at Ponoka, Alberta, to find the ground covered with four feet of snow.  A warm welcome!

The family stayed in Ponoka so that the children could go to school and remained until the father, A.J. Sundberg, took up a homestad and bought another quarter section seven and a half miles south of Alix on the banks of the Red Deer River.  He bought some purebred Shorthorn cows and moved his family to the site of their new home.  They arrived there on July 5, 1903.  The land had to be cleared of brush before they could pitch tents, their first shelter.

The only son, Oscar, was only nine years old, and the daughters ranged from fifteen years to eight months old.  They all helped according to their ability, the older ones clearing the site for the house which was soon to be built by Mr. Bergstrom.  Mr. Sundberg’s first task was the erecting of a corral to contain cows so they wouldn’t wander so far.

Ruth continues in her own words: “While we were living in tents the worst hail any of us had ever seen came down like chunks of glass.  Prairie fires and tornados could be a real threat …. We kids would get so scared when the coyotes howled almost at our tent door.  Before we could farm, the land had to be cleared by hand and broken by oxen pulling a plough.  Cattle thieves were numerous…. The Sundberg brand was 4S reversed bar on the left shoulder.

Dad had to drive a team and wagon to Lacombe or Ponoka for groceries which took the best part of a week. The raspberries, chokecherries and saskatoons were a lifesaver…. There were plenty of ducks, prairie chickens and partridges…. In the hard winter of 1906-07 we snared rabbits for stew and cleaned wheat by hand before grinding it on a coffee mill for the making of biscuits and porridge….

The Sundbergs obtained their public schooling at Content.  Our school was opened January 1, 1905.  (The Content Bridge was being built that same winter,) Our school teacher was Miss Lodge, later Mrs. Jack Moore.  The pupils were about half white and half Metis.  We used to sleighride and toboggan down a steep bank to Tail Creek which ran close by the school.

Often our recreation was to find a lake somewhere, shovel and sweep the snow off and then skate….

For our high school we went to Stettler….

The children of Andrew John and Annie Augusta were as follows: Ida (who remained in the U.S.A., Hilda who became Mrs. Young of Lindberg…. Ruth, Mrs. McKinnon of Calgary…. Jennie….; Oscar….;Anne, Mrs. Alex Findlater….;Clara, Mrs. Beebe….; Sophie, Mrs. Fred Hanes….; Pearl, Mrs, Frank Eaton….

Robert Kerr

In Content, Pioneer Farming, School, School Teachers, South Buffalo S.D. on September 10, 2020 at 8:38 AM

From “Robert Kerr – By Edwin Vernon Kerr”

Pioneer and Progress,Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

Robert Kerr filed on his homestead early in the year of 1905.  He chose the N.W. ¼ 20-39-21-W4th.   He built a log house 10 x 12 feet and had twelve acres of breaking done by Mr. Nelse Monson and Mr. John Sorum.  He also did some fencing before returning to Lulu Island or better known today as Richmond, B.C.

Mr. Kerr returned to Alberta and the homestead in March, 1906 bringing his wife and family of three, two boys and a girl.  Edwin being the eldest was nine years of age.  Ian was seven years old in April of that year.  Iva was three years old.  A fourth child was born in the spring of 1909, Ina May, but llived just a few months.

When the Kerrs reached here in March there was no snow and the ice was thick and clear on all the ponds.  The crops were good in the year of 1906 and Mr. Kerr Sr. went on to secure more land, some of which Ed owns today [1974]. The duck crop was also good.  The Sorum Bros., Jake, John, and Martin with Nelse Monson and Bob Kerr went duck hunting for a couple of hours one afternoon and got more ducks than you could shake a stick at.  Bob Kerr’s shot gun kicked so bad he had to stop at a neighbour’s barn for a sweatpad for his shoulders.  Mr. Kerr enlarged his house that year.  The Kerr homestead took in a hill of about thirty or forty acres which the Community used for a picnic grounds.

The South Buffalo Lake school district was formed in 1906.  The district secured a grant from the Provincial Government to build a school. The school was built by the Johnson Bros. of Content, Sid and Lyman, and completed in December.  School opened early in January 1907.  The first teacher was Miss Hyssop from Kingston, Ontario.  She, as well as quite a few of the other teachers boarded with Mrs. Kerr. The first pupils at the new school were Imer, Hilmer and Ester Sorum; Edward and Ian Kerr; Pete, Dave, Charles and Bror Loftstrand; Orvilla and Pearl Sorum. … [T]he following year … Miss Perdy came to teach.

St. John the Baptist’s Anglican Church at Clive

In Boy Scouts, Churches, Clive AB, Coan & wood Heating, Lamerton, Pleasant Valley on September 3, 2020 at 10:12 AM

From ‘the History of St. John, the Baptist’s Anglican Church, Clive, Alberta

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

The earliest services were held in a little country school house with the Reverend Leitch Porter conducting…. Archdeacon Dewdney was another frequent visitor conducting services whenever he passed that way on his missionary journeys.

In 1909 or very early in 1910 plans were made for the building of the present church [1974] …. A fund of $402 was contributed by four members of the Elliott family…. Other donations came in from Pleasant Valley, and the surrounding area, and the fund at the Quebec Bank at Clive swelled to over a thousand dollars.

On one of his visits, Archdeacon Dewdney held a service in the Brereton Hall at Clive after which he called a meeting to form the first vestry.  George Elliott became the first people’s warden and Basil Hertslet, the first rector’s warden.  Other members of the vestry included D.C. Hartle, John Elliott, Ernest Short, Bernard C. Hertslet, W.S. Boesfield, Lawrence Nichols, and Edward Fawcett….

Ernest Dickinsen, a mason by trade, who lived near Chain lakes, donated and laid the first cornerstone…. Donald Hartle, his nephew George Hartle, and Ernest Short donated stained glass windows.  Henry Cramer and Ernest Short were foremost in putting up the framework, and by early autumn, the building stood ready….On the thirtieth day of September, 1911, the parish of St. John the Baptist’s was formed by the Rt. Rev. Cyprian Pinkham, Bishop of Calgary…. Four baptisms were performed by the Bishop at that first service…. And [one] … confirmed.

In this same year, Oswin Creighton, a son of the Bishop of London, England, came to Canada as a missionary.  After some months in Edmonton, he was sent to take charge of the Lamerton Mission…. [which included] Clive….

…Oswin Creighton was not long in organizing a troop of Boy Scouts….

Two stoves heated, or partially warmed this high-ceilinged church.  One of these burned wood and coal, giving some degree of constant heat.  The tall iron one which burned wood only had to be fed by dropping the sawn blocks of native poplar down through the opening at the top.  Twenty feet or more of tin piping was slung horizontally from the high ceiling to connect the stoves with the chimney of the building. Under favorable conditions these pipes gave off almost as much heat as the stoves…. Should the wind veer to the south, however, the chimney and pipes refused to fulfill their purposes, and the congregation would be literally smoked out.

In those days of horse transport, the old hitching post was an inevitable feature of the outside of any public place….

Early in September of 1913, Oswin received a helper…R.H. Gregory… a recent graduate from Oxford….

The first organist at Clive was Miss Isabella Elliott….

The W.A. was started by Mrs. F.C. Dean in 1915….

Various improvements to the original structure have been made….  in 1954 … a basement was dug at the back of the lot where the horses were once tied and the church building was moved back on to a solid foundation.  The two stoves and the twenty feet of pipe were replaced by a modern heating system…

The following are the names of the clergymen who had charge….: The Rev. Oswin Creighton, 1911-1914; The Rev. N. W. Holdum, 1914 1919; The Rev. Andrew Love, 1920-23; Leslie Bachelor, student, during the summer of 1924; The Rev. G.M. Morgan, 1924 – 1929; The Rev. Thomas Chapman, 1929 – 1936; The Rev. W.E. Herbert, 1936 – 1942; The Rev. L.W. G. Hudson, 1942 – 1945; The Rev. George Major, 1952-59 aided by a student, Peter Millen during the summer of 1957.

The present [1974] incumbent, the Rev. K.M. Collison, arrived during the latter part of 1957….

W.B. Linklater

In Haynes, Hopedale, Railway on September 1, 2020 at 5:15 PM

From “W.B. Linklater Story  – by Ben Linklater”

Pioneers and Progress Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

I was born in Hopedale School District, on what we called the Seal place. From the few days stay there, we went to what was home, the Cundiff place.  Then we moved to Haynes, where the folks built a house, 16 X 24 feet, three rooms downstairs, two rooms in the upper part.  Green lumber was used, and eventually the wind came in, along with rain and sunshine.

In 1939 the family moved to West Saunders, where Dad worked on the CNR Railway.  Marjorie, Kathleen and myself had to walk 2 ½ miles to school on the track to Alix.  One morning, on crossing a very large trestle, we got caught on it by the train, dog and all.  We managed to get onto a barrel, just in the nick of time.

In 1940 we moved back to Haynes.  I went to school at Hopedale until grade nine, then to Red Deer for grade ten.  I helped H. Waldron at harvest time – $1.00 a day to shovel grain in bins; and spent a lot of time at the Jack Dobinson farm.  After working on farms, at a blacksmith shop and driving truck, I apprenticed for a mechanic with Ben Gautier from January, 1951 to April, 1955.

… I met my wife, Margaret Randall.  On September 10th, 1955, we were married.  After a short stay in Lacombe, we moved to Haynes where we took over the garage from B. Gautier…. We have gone since into mixed farming, cat work, and contract land clearing.

From our marriage, we have three children: Bernice;…Allan;…Leslie;…and Keith , deceased in 1953.