alixwagonwheelmuseum

Archive for August, 2020|Monthly archive page

Clive (Valley City) continued

In Clive AB, Railway on August 27, 2020 at 5:37 AM

Clive (Valley City) continued

In 1912 the C.P.R. offered the village the use of the water stored in their water tank for fire fighting purposes, at the rate of one dollar per year.

During this same year (1912) the first sidewalks were constructed in the Village.  These walks were built of wood planks but in 1925 were constructed of concrete.  The first roads in the village were merely wagon trails, and later were graded and gravelled.  In 1973 the main street of Clive was paved.

The Corporate Seal procured by the Village of Clive in 1912 is still used by the Village in 1973. The first Village Secretary’s salary was $60.00 per year.  The Assessed Valuation on Farm Lands in 1913 was $20.00 per acre.

In 1913 a 10 per cent reduction was allowed on the Taxes and the Auditor’s cost was $10.00.  The first skating rink and tennis court were built in Clive during 1913.

In 1916 E.L. Dickenson was appointed as First Town Constable and also Pound Keeper.  He was later relieved of his duties by Harry Cramer.  It was during this year of 1916 that the first By-Laws for the Village of Clive were written.  The Village Council also purchased two chemical fire engines at this time at a cost of $150.00 each.

In 1920, in the absence of any medical assistance at Clive, Council was given permission to communicate with the Minister of Health, asking for authority to dispense Liquor to any flu patients requiring it, and that the Minister be asked to have the Liquor Vendors forward one or two cases to the Mayor for this purpose….

In 1924 the Village purchased a lighting Plant.  The Plant was operated by Elmer Cheever and later by Waldron Bros.  The lights were turned on at 6 o’clock in the evening and off at 10:00 P.M. except for Saturday when they were turned off at 11:00 P.M. The total cost of operating the plant was $150.00 per month, with the Street Lights costing $15.00 per month.  The balance of $135.00 was divided into a Flat Rate amongst those connected to the power.

This article is from the book Pioneers and Progress, a history of the Alix-Clive area printed in 1974by DW Friesen and Sons Ltd., Calgary.  Copies of it and of its follow-up Gleanings are available for sale at the Alix Public Library, Alix Wagon Wheel Museum, and Alix Home Hardware

Bill and Laurine Morris

In Alix, Alberta, Ferintosh, Lumber Yards, School, School Teachers on August 24, 2020 at 6:16 AM

From “Bill and Laurine Morris – By Laurine Morris”

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

The Bill Morris family of four, Bill, Laurine, Jim and Oliver came to live in Alix in 1948 when Bill took over the management of the Alberta Lumber Co, Yard and Hardware (now [1974] known as Revelstoke Building Materials.)  Housing accommodation was scarce, and Bill boarded at ‘Pop’ Walper’s from March to September when an ancient four-room house (an old Alix jail converted) at 4919-52nd St., was for sale, and they bought it.  Through the years to date, August 1973, the Morrises have been remodelling and adding to the house….

Bill Morris was born in Wetaskiwin, in 1909, where his father, also Bill Morris, was the first manager of the Wetaskiwin creamery.  Bill’s father later became one of the founding partners in Independent Creameries…. After getting his Senior Matriculation in 1926-27, Bill attended the Camrose Normal School…. In 1945, Bill resigned from his High School teaching position at Bluffton, to apprentice for two years at Benalto….

Laurine Morris was born on a farm at Ferintosh in 1912 where her father, Rev. N.J. L. Bergen, had moved his large family from Edmonton that year….  Laurine … attended both rural and city schools. In 1928-29 at the age of sixteen she attended Camrose Normal School, and has since taught in the Parkland for over thirty years.

Sons, Jim and Oliver, got their Senior Matriculation in the Alix and Alix M.A.C. Schools respectively and all members of the family have attended the universities of Edmonton and Calgary for a dozen or more years collectively.

During a fifteen-year span of managing the Alberta Lumber Co. Yard at Alix, Bill was transferred to the Vegreville Yard in 1952, and after one year there was happy to return to Alix to resume his managership of the Co. Yard here.  In 1958, Bill joined the Alix teaching staff as a Grade eight classroom teacher.  The next year he was appointed Business Education teacher and continued in that capacity for fourteen years.  Laurine went on staff in 1954as a Grade one teacher and continued in that capacity for nineteen years….

from UFWA Cookbook 5th Ed

In Alix, Alberta, Cookbooks on August 22, 2020 at 5:15 AM
This cookbook was a shower gift. The inscription is below:

Clive (Valley City)

In Clive AB, Railway on August 20, 2020 at 8:32 AM

Clive (Valley City) Part 1

When the Moose Jaw extension of the C.P.R. system was being constructed, it was the it was the usual policy of the railroads at this time to place stations about nine miles apart. It was the ill fortune of this district to fall between two stations – Tees and Chigwell – thus compelling the settlers now established in the Valley City area to seek shipping facilities at points of easier access for most of the settlers.  At this point it is necessary to note that Clive (Valley City) was unique amongst towns of the west, because it had to assert and claim the rights of recognition along the C.P.R. right of way.  A committee was formed consisting of: B.F. Allison, H.J. Northcott, G.H. Reynolds, D.F. Pringle, N.V. Meadows.  Later the following were added to the committee: W.M. Morton, J.T. Reynolds, R.N. Longstreet, and A.C. Johnstone.  This committee was responsible for the purchase of the townsite, the payment of a considerable sum to the C.P.R. ($12,000) and the furnishing of sidetracks, which were energetically undertaken by the surrounding settlers.  At the time the Village began business, it rejoiced in the name of “Valley City”, later gaining a name on the C.P.R. system.  The citizens were informed that in the choice of name, they were forestalled by a town in North Dakota by the name of Valley City.  Clive, the name of the intrepid founder and defender of the British Dominions in India, was suggested and accepted. In the year 1905 the C.P.R. railway went through, going east to Coronation. At the time that train did not stop at Valley City and the outgoing mail was put on a steel arm within reach of the baggage man from the train onto the platform.  In the year 1910, the first train stopped.

This article is from the book Pioneers and Progress, a history of the Alix-Clive area printed in 1974by DW Friesen and Sons Ltd., Calgary.  Copies of it and of its follow-up Gleanings are available for sale at the Alix Public Library, Alix Wagon Wheel Museum, and Alix Home Hardware

Norman Meadows

In Clive AB, Pioneer Farming, Westling on August 17, 2020 at 4:12 AM

From “Norman Meadows”

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

In 1904 Norman Meadows came north from South Dakota with a group of other pioneers.  Some of these families settled in what is now the Sargent district but Norman went to his brother Griffin’s area and purchased the land across the road.  In those early times a trainload of settlers’ effects took some time to reach the destination and when Norman arrived in Edmonton, a telegram was waiting for him saying his wife had died.  A sad beginning to a new home in a new country.

Norman was one of the earlier settlers and one of the first five men that bought into the townsite of Clive.  He built a large warehouse along the C.P.R. right of way for the purpose of storing grain.   This was before any elevators were built.  Later this building was moved to the property just north of the Anglican Church.  It was put on a high foundation and used as an implement shed.  Later the school fairs were held in this building. Douglas Wilson also bought and stored grain to be shipped from this building.

He was well known to settlers for miles around as he operated the first threshing machines in the area.

He was community minded and helped in all activities.  One finds his name in the minutes of the annual meetings of the newly established Westling School Division No. 556.

His later years he spent in Clive at the home of Mr. and Mrs. W. Morton.

He had one son and one daughter.

Grade 10, 1960 Alix School from Inkspot Yearbook

In Alix, Alberta, School on August 15, 2020 at 7:08 AM

Casey Bates

In Pioneer Farming, Pioneer tools & Machinery on August 10, 2020 at 4:22 PM

From “Casey Bates – By E.D.”

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

Casey Bates was a very good mechanic and went around the country repairing threshing machines and other machinery, driving an old McLaughlin touring car.  One method he used was to heat babbet and pour it around bearings thus enabling the farmer to carry on with his job whatever it was.  He was usually a separator man and followed the machine all around the country….

His wife was a daughter of the Chas. Harmons.

Haney W.6-39-23 W4

In Farming, Haynes, Pioneer Farming on August 9, 2020 at 2:37 PM

From “Leland Haney – S.W. 6-39-23 W4 by Erma Lakeman”

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

Leland Haney left home in Minnesota, U.S.A. and came to Canada to Haynes area.  He filed on the homestead on June 25, 1900 and received title March 19, 1906.

He and Miss Mary Thomas were married Nov. 14, 1904.  Later he sold the land and bought N.W. 6 from his mother.  After a few years of farming, he traded this land to Mr. Watson for land at Elma, Washington and returned to the U.S. A…. Mr. Haney was fond of music and played the violin for many house parties and dances in the early years.

From “S. Haney – N.W. 6-39-23-W4  By Erma Lakeman”

Pioneers and Progress, Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

Mr. and Mrs. Sylvester Haney filed on their homestead in July 1902.  They left Spruce Hill, Minnesota, and arrived at Lacombe in March, 1902.  They travelled by train, and shipped their livestock, machinery, and household effects by boxcar. They were met at the train by their son, Leland, who had come to Canada two years earlier.

They came to the Haynes area and lived with a bachelor neighbour, Al Hunter, until they built their own house.  They had eight children, two of them died before they left the U.S.  The others were: Byrd who returned to Minnesota the next year, Enos, Leland, Lillian (Mrs. Hunter), Bessie (Mrs. Morril), and Cecil (Mrs. P. Aldrich).

Mr. Haney hauled the mail from Lacombe to Content, and was kicked by a horse, while on a mail trip, three days later on Aug. 17, 1905.

Their sons finished proving up the land, and they received title in Dec. 1909.  Mrs. Haney sold the place to her son, Leland.

As a young girl Mrs. Haney taught school in the U.S.  She eloped with Sylvester, who was one of her students.  After his death, she married Mr. Sidney Smith, and lived in the village of Alix….

Social Distancing Parade 2020

In Alix, Alberta on August 9, 2020 at 7:37 AM

Geoff Parlby drove his beautiful antique car, which was decorated with copies of some of the art by local painters from the museum’s collection by our creative summer employees, Zoe and Melissa. Thank you to them and to Geoff. Also thank you to Young Canada Works and Canada Summer Jobs for the support allowing us to have summer employees.

Edna Wismer

In Mirror AB, World War !!, World War II on August 6, 2020 at 3:44 PM

From “Edna Walters Bissett Wismer”

Pioneers and Progress  Alix Clive Historical Club, 1974

Edna Walters worked for Col. Eaton when she finished school.  George Bissett was working for … Ward Barritt, on the farm in Ripley where they met.  They were married in May of ’39.  After harvest they moved to Alix and lived in the Parlby home.  George joined the army and was moved to the east in Jan. 1940.  Edna followed. In May George went overseas.  Edna remained and took a business course and worked in Ontario till she returned to Mirror in 1942 and then got a job in Edmonton.  George missed the Dieppe raid because of injury.  He later left the army, joined the air force and was returned to Alberta for retraining.  In 1945 George and Edna were divorced.  They both remarried later.   Edna married an ex Sergeant Major Colin Wismer.  They lived in Edmonton for the next 23 years.  In 1970 they moved to Ethel Estell’s house in Mirror.